Skip to main content

First time property owner/landlord

I just closed on my apartment building yesterday. It’s all good an exciting. Except that I currently reside in one of the apartments and my upstairs tenants suck. I’m not sure if I’m coming here for advice or to complain but here goes…. My upstairs neighbors(now tenants) are really noisy. Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything limiting the impact of sound from their hardwood floors through to mine so it’s not all them and I’m assuming it’s not malicious. But before I became the owner of the building the landlord had messaged them for me one day asking them to keep the noise level down for the day. So they know it’s an issue, and they also know the last tenants lease wasn’t renewed due to this. Another issue I have is that one person is signing the lease to live here, and then bringing in 4 extra people (adults and children) who aren’t listed as taking residency here.

Idk I guess I’m especially crabby about it because I’ve lived here for 2.5 years and I’ve always had at least 5 people at any given time living in a 2 bedroom above me who work(or don’t work period) normal hours. I work nights and I work numerous 16 hour shifts most of them with only 8 hours off in between. So when I come home, I just want to rest because I’m exhausted. The kids running around throwing toys and doing what kids do keeps me from falling asleep, and wakes me up. I’ve tried fans, headphones, earplugs and many more things. The only thing that works is alcohol, if you feel me. Even when I work from home, their noise is extremely distracting. But I also know, now that I own this place I should really just shut my mouth as long as the lady is paying rent and isn’t destroying property because her rent is putting cash flow in my pocket. At this point I am honestly considering soundproofing my floors from below and then once they move out doing the floors from above. I know this seems like a lot, but I plan to live here for at least the next year and I feel like I’m going insane. Anyway, advice or no thanks for listening to me whine!

TLDR; I own my apartment building I live in and my upstairs tenants are super noisy and I don’t get sleep

submitted by /u/dippotatochip
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/rszzt0/first_time_property_ownerlandlord/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...