Skip to main content

ADVICE NEEDED: to sell or lease out? (TX)

I really need some advice here. My wife and I bought a new construction house in Austin TX in November 2019 for $273k. We had planned on eventually buying a different home for us to move into, and to lease out our current one. Due to how quickly prices were going up, we decided to act fast and are now under contract for a new build outside of Austin. It is $320k and is expected to be complete in February.

Here’s the dilemma: Our neighbors just sold their home for $485k, and they have the same floor plan as us. We are near the new Tesla that is being built, so we are expecting that values will continue to increase, although of course there’s no way to know for sure. Because of how much they got for it, we are considering just selling it to keep that profit (we owe $265k on it). Our mortgage is $1680/month (but will likely go up a lot from property taxes) and the homes in our neighborhood are being leased out for $2,000-$2,400/month. With taking capital gains taxes into consideration, should we hang onto this property and lease it out or sell it?

Also, will capital gains taxes still apply if we held onto it for 2 years and then sold it? We will have lived in it for 2 years, and then leased it out for 2 years. I’m not sure exactly how that works. How much are regular taxes for selling, if we just sold it outright?

I know it’s a lot, I am super appreciative of anyone who may be able to help!

submitted by /u/frostedturtledove
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/nph75e/advice_needed_to_sell_or_lease_out_tx/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...