Skip to main content

Renting out current home to fund new rental — advice appreciated

Renting out my home to buy next investment property — advice appreciated

I first purchased a vacation home in an increasingly popular area for NYC weekenders four years ago. I fixed up the entire house over the course of two years with hybrid DIY and contractor work.

Realizing the knack my wife and I had for transforming our old home and being design forward, we took the plunge on our first rental property. This is a seasonal vacation area but is popular in both summer and winter (skiing) so shoulder season is fairly short.

So far it’s done well thankfully. Some quick stats:

Purchase price: $139,000 (25% down)

Renovation: $70,000

Appraised ARV: $310,000

Monthly PITI/maintenance: $1100

Cash flow: $2,800/month

Across both my main home now and my rental property I’m about 30/70 debt to equity. It’s been grueling at times but we’ve built up a sizable amount of equity and put 25% down on both houses. The market has appreciated at a good beat as well.

So now I’m eyeing my next rental property, but I enjoy buying fixer uppers and renovating to our standards. Of course this has the negative of extended downtime before it’s rental ready. I’m thinking of putting my main house up for rental (it’s definitely not a “forever home” but great for a young couple with a kid) to generate immediate cash and move into the new house to fix up.

The monthly excess cash generated will certainly cover the new house nut, but it’s $275,000 as the market is a bit hot at the moment. From a cash flow perspective it works but CoC looks a bit weak since it will probably need $50k of work before it starts bringing in $3k+ month after expenses.

Also I’d only be putting 10% down on this one. The location is absolute prime within the area though and is starting to gentrify so I think outlook is strong. NY annual tourism report shows consistent double digit growth in spend.

I guess my main concern is I’ll be leveraging up a bit more and I definitely feel like I’m overpaying in the heat of the pandemic. On the flip side it makes sense from a cash perspective as I’ll immediately be using cash flow from my main house to pay for this new property.

submitted by /u/crek42
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ijwwgk/renting_out_current_home_to_fund_new_rental/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...