Skip to main content

First time home buyers, newly debt-free. 10% down in a year or 20% down in two years?

Hey all, looking to get some thoughts on our first home/mortgage.

My wife and I are newly debt free (paid off both cars & student loans this summer). We have a take-home income of about $7,700 per month. We both have excellent credit (800+). We have no kids so with our debt paid off, our expenses are minimal (about $3,000 per month for everything including rent, utilities, groceries, cell phones, personal spending, retirement contributions, etc.).

We are looking to buy a home in the $250-300k range in the next 12 months. We are currently saving money for a down payment and should be able to put 10% down plus closing costs (~$38k) next summer. We will have $30k leftover in a HYSA and checking.

My question is about the timing, and the mortgage approach. If we buy sooner with 10%, would an 80-10-10 mortgage make sense for us, vs. a 90-10 conventional loan? The reason I am thinking about the 80-10-10 is that we would likely be able to pay off the second mortgage in about a year, leaving us with only the main mortgage payment. This seems more appealing than taking PMI on a 90-10 conventional loan. Is there anything else I have failed to consider here?

Alternatively is it dumb to not just wait the extra 6 months to be able to put the full 20% down? We will hit the 10% down savings threshold in the summer and the 20% down savings threshold in the winter so that is the main consideration for 10% down (seasonal buying/availability of houses; not being stuck in the small rental we are currently living in until the following summer if we wait for the 20% threshold).

Any input would be much appreciated!

submitted by /u/glia_enthusiast
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ikc18n/first_time_home_buyers_newly_debtfree_10_down_in/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...