Skip to main content

Does it make sense for me to purchase a home now?

Hi Reddit! I am torn with the decision to buy a home. Please provide insight in what you would do and perhaps and advice from the people who have had experience buying a home.

I am 24 years old married with a newborn child (4 months old) living in the Bay Area. My wife and I live with my parents at the moment and are feeling the struggles of working at home while sharing a room with a baby. We are thinking of buying a small condo in Hayward but are having a hard time justifying this - as you may know, the bay area is extremely expensive.

Below are a list of our financial setting:

- My wife comes from an affluent family and a family member has gifted us a one-time $200k for the birth of the child.

- My wife is pending her work visa as she is a foreign citizen (She has lined up a job offer that would pay $60k salary if she can receive the work visa in time, we expect her to have her visa by early next year at the latest)

- I work as a consultant and am set to make ~$60k this year due to paternity leave.

Questions:

- Does it make sense to purchase a $310k condo with $400 HOA fees?

- Granted that we would like to put at least 20% down so that we still have a cash reserve for those 'oh shit' scenarios, what home price do you feel my income could sustain? (Assuming only I am working)

- Are the current interest rates something we should really push to take advantage of?

- Do you feel the Bay Area would see significant reduction in value due to the new covid-19 remote working environment?

- What additional realtor fees would be reasonable?

I greatly appreciate your thoughtful responses in advance.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/DragonFartFries
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ijs7xu/does_it_make_sense_for_me_to_purchase_a_home_now/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...