Skip to main content

Does my mortgage co-applicator HAVE to be co-owner ?

I’m 19 buying my first home.

It’s a fixer upper house and a couple acres.

Unfortunately I don’t have a credit score as I’ve tried to avoid credit cards unless it’s an emergency.

Here’s my issue.

My dad has decided and applied as my co-applicant.

My dad and I have very different views for the place.

I want to keep the trees as a privacy screen, set up a few greenhouses and make it look nice.

My dad wants to cut down most, of not all, the trees as firewood and start a firewood business from that.

I absolutely hate that idea.

I’m currently living at home with my parents and it’s literally everything what they want and say, that’s exactly what happens, because they’re older and pay the rent.

He’s made it clear that I’ll be responsible to the pay the mortgage or he kicks me out of the place.

Here’s my issue with that, I found the home, I booked a viewing, I found a buyers agent, I’m paying the down payment, I’m covering the home inspection costs, I’m paying the water inspection, the water bill, the propane bill and home insurance.

To me it seems like I’ve done all the work for the place and I’m paying everything just to have my mom and dad dictate what I have to do there, they won’t even let me have my own bedroom !

And their reason is because my dad is co-signer on the mortgage and will be co-owner that gives them the right to make any and all decisions at my expense.

Our visions differ greatly and I don’t want to basically finance their dream with absolutely zero input or authority.

The co-signer is only needed due to my lack of credit score and to make sure someone pays the mortgage if I can’t.

To make it clear. My parents are NOT contributing in any way whatsoever to the property as of now.

So Here’s my question, is there anyway I can leave my dad as co-applicant to the mortgage without making him co-owner ?

It’s my dream place that I can afford to buy and pay myself and don’t want to be pushed around just because he signed a piece of paper and then carries out his dream (which I wholeheartedly disagree with!)

I’m in AB Canada if it’s important.

submitted by /u/MyStalkedAccount
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/hj0z22/does_my_mortgage_coapplicator_have_to_be_coowner/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...