Skip to main content

Strange seller's behavior - is it a red flag?

I tried to put an offer on the house and faced strange seller's behavior, trying to understand if this is the sign of avoid them.

I had put a reasonable offer close or equal to market price (after market analysis by me and my realtor), on a house that had been sitting on the market for 2 years listed well above market price.I gave seller almost 72 hours go consider offer.I got verbal response in a couple of days that they'd agree to my offer but would only sell AS-IS.

I responded verbally this would not be acceptable and would not agree with AS-IS language. I also communicated that I didn't expect to ask seller to do any repairs, as I was looking for fast cash closing, but would walk away if major/expensive issues are found on inspection or ask for price reduction. Also I said that want to keep the language in the contract that seller is to repair septic, if inspector finds issues.

At offer expiration time I got a call from my agent telling me verbally that seller agreed to my terms and that "first thing in the morning" I'd be getting my offer signed by seller into contract. Nothing came in the morning, and by the very end of day (over 24 hours after offer expired) signed document arrived (by email). I asked my agent if document was modified by seller...and it was. They crossed out "septic inspection and other inspections" contingency language completely and handwritten "paperwork provided". Some invoice was attached showing some pipes installation last year - no pumping invoice or septic inspection results, so this is getting ridiculous.

I felt deceived, since verbally other agreement was promised and I received expired signed offer with that stuff crossed out - luckily I double-checked or I'd initial offer expiration date change with that modified language without knowing it, realtor didn't bring it to my attention. At this point I started to feel I can not trust this seller, but I decided to give them a chance as it could be some realtor phone miscommunication.

I said to my agent that I will not agree to waiving septic inspections or required septic repairs and pumping if inspects says they're needed. Realtor prepared that page of offer/contract from scratch again and had sent them.

I updated the expiration date to give them about 26 more hours. I've been told earlier that seller is unable to use Docusign, or other electronic signing, and I thought they were elderly not-computer-literate couple. They supposedly had to go to UPS store for everything, to print, sign, scan and email everything signed, with great delay. So I am being told next day that they won't be ableto take care of it in 26 hours and will need more, possibly 1.5 days to get things back. At this point I was being told that seller had kids to take care of which is taking up their time and realized they're not senior folks I thought they were.

I looked them up and I see they're younger than me, in early 40s, university-educated, have email, claim to have had cable internet before and I'm 100% sure they're computer-literate and could use e-signining (since the listing agent they had chosen is 1.5 hours away from them!).

Also, I was then communicated verbally that they absolutely won't pump the septic even in inspector recommends it, because they pumped it last year - but I saw 0 proof on paper they had pumped it, nothing was sent.

At this point I started to think they're playing games, basically, and are hiding something serious about the house - By taking enormous delays to sign and return anything, not abiding by deadlines, promising, verbally, one thing then sending another thing on paper, trying to tell me to buy as-is, refusing to do even the septic repair if recommended, being hung up on septic, basically, which is traditionally a seller's problem not the buyer's (in many states you can't even sell your house until you bring septic to pass).

I started to get worried that seller might pull something bad by the closing time, like not signing closing papers or pulling out of contract, or not abiding by contract (like not fixing septic even if they agree on paper). I started to feel concerned about the seller and something serious being wrong with the house, wouldn't want to be out of inspection and title attorney money (3K easily) to be left with nothing and no place to move to (I have to move from where I'm right now very soon, right by that expected closing time).

Does it sound like something is off here? I'm not in contract as I withdrew my offer (something else ame up that wasn't matching the listing description on paper which needed to be investigated), but I still could re-activate offer.


[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/fanwxw/strange_sellers_behavior_is_it_a_red_flag/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/