Skip to main content

Qualify for mortgage using assets vs using income

I don't know where to start, but here goes...

1.) Income

I've been making about $110k salary for 3 years and I receive royalties through oil and gas income from my family's business. My 2-year average 2017-2018 for royalties is about 40k, but one year was 75k and the other was 4k. 2019 was way better, maybe 70k again, but I don't have a tax return yet. I quit my salaried job recently and started my own online business with nearly no overhead. I have no income to show yet.

2.)

Mortgage number 1

I've lived in my house for 8 years and I have a newly retired couple that will be moving in and paying the cost of my mortgage plus property taxes (2k/month). They are homeowners themselves and don't owe anything. Their daughter lives down the street from my house. I know lenders like to see a year or more of income from tenants, but obviously I don't have that yet. Maybe a signed lease will work?

Extra background: I made no money and went to graduate school for two of the years I've owned my home and I've never come close to missing a mortgage payment.

3.)

Assets

I owe 190k on my house and the county tax assessor values it at 505k, so my equity is 315k, although I need an appraisal I'm guessing. I've had the good fortune of receiving a windfall and have 500k in the bank. I owe 55k in taxes and I want to keep at least 115k in a high-interest savings account because that's about what my average spending is over two years and I'm prepared to not make money for that long (except unknown royalties as mentioned above).

My credit score is 793.

The homes I'm interested in are in the 500k to mid-600k range and I'd like to keep my monthly payment around 2k. The housing market I'm looking at is booming.

I have spoken to some mortgage brokers and I'm concerned. One said that with no proven income and with royalties that have an uncertain future, it will be difficult for me to get a loan. I do not understand that at all. I'm in Austin, TX in a highly desirable neighborhood and could sell my house in a matter of days to liquidate around 300k, and I have 500k in the bank. The broker said that my cash and equity have no bearing on my ability to get a mortgage. (I'm moving to Colorado. I'm tired of living in Austin, my boyfriend and I have 3 dogs so we're unattractive renters, I'm way past being done with being a renter anyway, and I'm moving to a place that's familiar. FYI in case anyone wants to know why on earth I'm trying to go buy another house... I could go buy something cheap and pay 800/mo instead of 2k, but that's not my goal)

submitted by /u/According_to_Hazel
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/fb8w7w/qualify_for_mortgage_using_assets_vs_using_income/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/