Skip to main content

Qualify for mortgage using assets vs using income

I don't know where to start, but here goes...

1.) Income

I've been making about $110k salary for 3 years and I receive royalties through oil and gas income from my family's business. My 2-year average 2017-2018 for royalties is about 40k, but one year was 75k and the other was 4k. 2019 was way better, maybe 70k again, but I don't have a tax return yet. I quit my salaried job recently and started my own online business with nearly no overhead. I have no income to show yet.

2.)

Mortgage number 1

I've lived in my house for 8 years and I have a newly retired couple that will be moving in and paying the cost of my mortgage plus property taxes (2k/month). They are homeowners themselves and don't owe anything. Their daughter lives down the street from my house. I know lenders like to see a year or more of income from tenants, but obviously I don't have that yet. Maybe a signed lease will work?

Extra background: I made no money and went to graduate school for two of the years I've owned my home and I've never come close to missing a mortgage payment.

3.)

Assets

I owe 190k on my house and the county tax assessor values it at 505k, so my equity is 315k, although I need an appraisal I'm guessing. I've had the good fortune of receiving a windfall and have 500k in the bank. I owe 55k in taxes and I want to keep at least 115k in a high-interest savings account because that's about what my average spending is over two years and I'm prepared to not make money for that long (except unknown royalties as mentioned above).

My credit score is 793.

The homes I'm interested in are in the 500k to mid-600k range and I'd like to keep my monthly payment around 2k. The housing market I'm looking at is booming.

I have spoken to some mortgage brokers and I'm concerned. One said that with no proven income and with royalties that have an uncertain future, it will be difficult for me to get a loan. I do not understand that at all. I'm in Austin, TX in a highly desirable neighborhood and could sell my house in a matter of days to liquidate around 300k, and I have 500k in the bank. The broker said that my cash and equity have no bearing on my ability to get a mortgage. (I'm moving to Colorado. I'm tired of living in Austin, my boyfriend and I have 3 dogs so we're unattractive renters, I'm way past being done with being a renter anyway, and I'm moving to a place that's familiar. FYI in case anyone wants to know why on earth I'm trying to go buy another house... I could go buy something cheap and pay 800/mo instead of 2k, but that's not my goal)

submitted by /u/According_to_Hazel
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/fb8w7w/qualify_for_mortgage_using_assets_vs_using_income/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...