Skip to main content

I want to buy my mom's house from her landlord (and neighbor). How do I do it?

I live in the Bay Area and work in the software industry. My mother lives in my hometown, in upstate NY, in a duplex apartment where she's been for over 20 years. Her landlord, a nice woman about my mother's age, lives in the adjoining apartment. She's owned it the whole time, and she and my mother are friendly.

The landlord has had some health issues over the past few years, and generally seems to dislike being a landlord; I suspect she might be interested in a sale. My mother would like to stay in the apartment for good, and she agrees that the landlord might be interested in selling.

So, I want to buy the house. I've never bought real estate before. I have plenty of cash (I could buy the house outright, if I wanted), and excellent credit. In addition, I worry about the possibility of disruption in my mother's life should the landlord decide to sell.

I'd like to be able to make the landlord a reasonable (even generous) private sale offer, and have the landlord become my tenant. My mother would be my property manager (in exchange for free rent).

I have no interest in taking advantage of this woman's poor health, or trying to pressure her into a deal, but I do hope she will agree to sell, and I do want to get a fair deal for myself.

What's the best way to go about this? Should I just approach the landlord, and go from there? Or does it make sense to try to get an offer together first, and then approach her? I really have no clue. Moreover, does this even sound like a good idea?

submitted by /u/wirebreather
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ew0q8k/i_want_to_buy_my_moms_house_from_her_landlord_and/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...