Skip to main content

Looking for advice on a parent's house which is in California and becoming difficult to pay.

So here is where I sit. My mom (70) is single and has her only income from social security which is just under $1k a month in northern California. She has 2 mortgages on her 1 house (long story one of the mortgages went to collections but is now in good standing for about a year). She is unable to pay for the two which has left me picking up the second mortgage for the past year. Now she is having trouble making the first mortgage payment and I am already stretched thin paying my mortgage along with her second.

The first mortgage is $87k at 4.8% FRM with a maturity date in 2040 and $858 per month.

The second one (The one that went to collections) is for $75k with a 4.7% ARM with a maturity date in 2031 and $730 per month.

The house is roughly around $370,000. And not up to date and could use some love to get to market value.

After looking into any extra income my mom can make, the only thing we have is her dog sitting through Rover, however, she is very bad with technology and is unable to work the Rover app which requires my assistance not to mention she does not return calls or text messages in a timely manner and looses most of her business because of this. I don’t live anywhere close to being able to help. Also, I do not have space for her to come live with me.

The next thing we have looked into doing is a reverse mortgage. This did not pan out as the lender wanted $30k down to do it. If We had that cash we would not be in this mess.

Now we are looking into a refinance. This does not seem to be a good option as her credit is in the 500’s. Just running the numbers on a mortgage calculator with a really good APR it looks like we would only be saving $100 to $200 a month which does not seem worth it since her credit will run the APR up assuming it even gets approved.

Now we are looking at selling the property but the question is where would she go? If she moves into an apartment she will be paying around the same per month as just keeping the place regardless if she stays where she is at or moves closer to me.

There is no other family member out there who could help support, it is just me and my mom. Would anyone know of other options that I am not thinking of? Any advice is much appreciated.

submitted by /u/Klosnor1
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ehedy5/looking_for_advice_on_a_parents_house_which_is_in/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/