Skip to main content

Buying Banked Owned REO for primary residence - questions

This would be my 3rd real estate purchase, however 1st that is a REO/Bank owned variety. The property sits in a desirable neighborhood (B rated) with good schools and new commercial real estate all around (shopping centers, new hospital etc). My agent I am working with said he has worked with the listing agent on another transaction earlier this year, and mentioned the asset manager who has this property will likely not budge much. My agent shared the property was listed fairly competitive (200K vs. homes in the neighborhood via MLS selling for 210-215 move-in ready) although no appliances convey, the flooring throughout would need to be replaced before move-in, and most importantly, my inspection revealed the HVAC and AC (both original at 14 yrs) are on their legit last legs.

I was present for the inspection, and asked point blank to the inspector what his thoughts were about the home. He said if I was purchasing from another person, I would likely have more negotiating power on the price, however it's a guessing game whether an asset manager will provide a credit to replace an AC Unit ($4-5K).

My two questions are:

  1. Assuming the appraisal comes in at or above the offer price of 200, knowing I will have to spend 5K within the first 30 days to replace the AC, do I walk if the seller (asset manager) balks at our request for a credit?
  2. How would I be able to know how long the property has been vacant? I have heard some banks are much more flexible if the property is on their books longer than others. To put a little color behind how I had my offer accepted in the first place, the property was listed for 197K, and there were multiple offers. We came in 3k above ask (financed) and were accepted. My agent believes there were at least 2 cash offers that were lower that they passed on.
submitted by /u/NewQ60Guy
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ehfcjt/buying_banked_owned_reo_for_primary_residence/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...