Skip to main content

When does decor become a “defect?”

My house is for sale in the upper midwest. It has a very formal decor (antique reproduction William Morris wallpaper on all walls AND all ceilings). It has custom leather cornices, jacquard and velvet window treatments, and custom window shades. It has ornate brass and frosted glass light fixtures, custom brass doorknobs, and unique/custom vent covers throughout, etc.

It was all professionally (and expensively) done by designers and is in excellent shape. The colors are neutral (white, beige, wheat) and there are no wild or colorful patterns.

However, I have read warning after warning that wallpaper is a scourge upon sellers and, apparently, it is something of which buyers are exceedingly unforgiving.

I received professional estimates and it would cost approximately $30,000 to remove the wallpaper and glue and prep/paint the walls and ceilings. It would cost a little more to also take down the cornices and replace the custom blinds with simple white roller shades.

However, the house is already priced much lower (proportionately) than the comps to reflect this. This house is in a very desirable and exclusive cul de sac. Comps in the neighborhood sell for 25-28 percent over their assessed values (and for an average of 4 percent over list price). At $465,000, mine is listed for only 9 percent above its assessment. (However, it is still one of the more expensive houses in town and buyers in this price range are relatively few—especially at this time of year). As a result, we’ve had very few showings and very little feedback.

My questions are: 1. Has anyone had a situation as a buyer or seller where decor was a “defect”—that is, so pervasive and so expensive and laborious to “fix” that it either rendered the house unsellable or required a firesale discount? How did you ultimately resolve the decor issue? 2. From a marketing perspective, should we try to lean into the decor and present it as a positive in an attempt to appeal to that “special buyer” who would actually appreciate the design aesthetic and not be deterred by it—and to weed out the people who want white kitchens and gray walls?

I’m just curious how others have factored bold decor into their prices and/or offers or how they dealt with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you care to share.

submitted by /u/MotherCoconuts11
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/dpvs4s/when_does_decor_become_a_defect/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...