Skip to main content

AITA for making my whole block change street addresses?

TL;DR: Lot next to mine sold, and it has the same physical address as me. There isn't room (in the numbers) to add another address, so the town's solution is to renumber all the houses on my block.

Longer Version:

We bought our house 2ish years ago - from a person that owned our house and owned/lived in the house next door. She recut all the land to make a full lot in the middle - basically, there were two biggish lots, and now there are three small lots (.33, .33, .4). She sold her home about a year ago, and has been trying to sell the center lot. We wanted to buy it, but just couldn't make it work. It did sell.

When it was sold the real estate listing was 105A, the land record is 103. We're 103 - and the next house down, on the other side lot, where the seller lived, is 105.

I spoke to the person in the zoning/planning office about petitioning to get the number changed. She was very familiar with the lot - and when it was cut into a separate lot, she made a proposal to the town manager to change all the numbers on the block -- reasoning being for 911 and emergencies, most emergency systems have trouble recognizing a letter in an address. The solution was to renumber the entire block. Also, because the post office doesn't like to re-assign existing addresses. The town manager said no - because he didn't want to upset all the people on the block that would have their numbers changed.

If I continue to press to get that number changed (so it isn't mine), the solution is to petition the town manager and all councils that will listen that the entire block needs to be re-numbered -- am I the asshole for doing this? There are about 12 to 14 houses on this block, and they were built as far back as the 50s.

submitted by /u/ajsherlock
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/dbbk7b/aita_for_making_my_whole_block_change_street/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...