Skip to main content

Buying home nearby before selling current home - handling equity vs down payment

North Carolina. Private residence.

We're looking to up size and our current home is well below what the bank told us we could afford 5 years ago when we bought. We haven't gone through pre-approval yet with any lenders but we're not worried (excellent credit, low DTI, high stable income through 2 solid careers).

We currently have about $75k in equity in our home. We have something like $15k in cash at the moment, though. $250k net worth including the home equity. Mostly retirement plans and some in roths/brokerage accounts in index funds.

My question is, assuming we'll be approved (if we were buying today with no home the bank would approve us to buy up to an amount well beyond the value of our current residence plus this one we're looking at) to purchase a second property that will be significantly more than our current but still well below our means when we ultimately sell our current residence, how can I handle moving the equity from the primary residence (minus real estate commission and other fees) to be applied as a down pmt on the second home? I really don't want to have to drain a bunch of account to only go back after the sale of our current home and put money back in.

Could we plan to put down some small (5%) down pmt on the second home with PMI and then within a few months after selling (if all goes well) we could put down enough to cover 20% equity and cancel the PMI? I don't want to pay PMI.

Any other better ways of going about this?

Also, I could really use some advice/insight for NC mortgage loans where we could take advantage of the fact that my wife is a public county school employee. Are there any benefits in the mortgage finding process we should be taking advantage of?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/jkchbe
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/cxgjrd/buying_home_nearby_before_selling_current_home/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...