Skip to main content

August Monthly Breakdown from a retired real estate investor

To see the previous month, please refer to this link https://www.reddit.com/r/realestateinvesting/comments/ck9qm6/monthly_budget_breakdown_from_a_retired_real/

A whole lot of stuff happened this month, so I'll do my best not to turn this into a novel. Bought a new investement property for myself, and I'm currently working with 2 out of state investors to help them get their first cash flowing rentals in my area. Both of those deals should close next month.

Okay, now for the numbers.

Business Income, Investments, and Expenses

1) Real Estate

Gross Rental Business income - $18,000 (no vacancies, 2 were filled at the beginning of the month, this also includes a down payment of $6,625 for a property I'm selling as a rent to own)

Net rental business income - $4,025 (Huge expenses this month! Had to dig out a sewer line all the way from house to alley on a house with a big back yard. That was about $4k. Also had to pay income taxes for 2018, which came to a little over $7k...also had a several minor repairs and had to pay for a dumpster/cleanup/repairs afer a long term tenant left us with a big mess after several years of accumulation. Luckily my crew was on top of things and we were able to do the needed work and already have it rented again. Still, had a total of almost $14k in business expenses this month!!)

One new investment property purchase as outlined here https://www.reddit.com/r/realestateinvesting/comments/cqadg8/new_deal_breakdown_on_hall_st/

My total purchase price was $16,170...renovations will start early next month. Renovation costs will be on next months breakdown.

Hard money loan outstanding on a flip project in Los Angeles - $50,000 (project is complete, just waiting for it to sell. Finally had some offers come in late this month, so we are expecting to finally get this thing off the books next month and get that money back...hopefully with a little profit)

2) Investments

Monthly investment into Fundrise $2,000 (all returns are being reinvested)

Monthly investment into Dividend Stock account $2000, all dividends are being reinvested

Monthly investment into Leveraged Stock account $2000

Monthly investment into Money Market account $3000. Currently getting 2% interest.

The balance will stay in the checking account.

3) Possible deal on the table for upcoming month

I am working with 2 out of state investors to help them purchase a couple of duplexes. Hopefully both of those deals will close next month.

PERSONAL EXPENSES

Personal expenses for the month (everything except property taxes, which will be a one time expense when paid) I'm sure this is confusing for some people, but I'll explain the low numbers on personal spending. 1) I own my house outright 2) I own my cars outright and only carry liability insurance 3) I self insure for all other insurance 4) I'm just really frugal by nature which includes cooking at home, walking most places within a 3 mile radius, not going out often, etc

The goal here is to spend less than $800 a month.

$905 total

Breakdown:(all cost rounded up to nearest $5)

Car insurance $60

Gasoline for cars $0

Cable $70

Water/sewer/trash $60

Gas (heat) $30

Electric $70

Cell phone $35

Food $150

Entertainment $70

Misc (one time purchase of electronic devices $60)

Averaged 3 month Medical expense $100

Averaged 6 month truck purchase cost $200

Not happy I went over budget here. Everything was looking fine until I blew the amp for my home theatre subwoofers. That was a very expensive amp, so a direct replacement wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Luckily I had a backup amp I could use, but I needed a few things to make the conversion work so ended up spending $60 on Parts Express to get everything. I also had a much higher food and entertainment budget than normal since I did a little entertaining this month. And of course, what really blew my budget was the two expenses carried forward from previous months. That $300 really ruined my budget this month. To see the details of why those are accounted for that way, see the previous month breakdown.

OTHER

Misc. income

Payment for truck sold to handyman $100

Total $100

Grey area accounting.

Most of the Grey area is already above. The big one this month are the new property purchase. Should that be counted against the rental income as a rental expense? Maybe, I don't know. So it got its own category. The funds for that came out of the bank account and a small transfer from my money market.

I guess the income taxes are a bit of a grey area too. Since they are based on the business, I accounted for them as a one time business expense against the monthly rental income.

On the personal side, deciding to account for the truck purchase I made for my handyman as a personal expense came back to bite me in arse. Oh well, at least I got $100 this month in misc. income from it! Lol. I can't complain too much. Even with all the craziness from this month I didn't blow the goal budget by too much.

Okay, that it is. Let me know if you have any questions about any of this. I know this covers more than just real estate or personal finance, but hopefully members of multiple communities will find it useful.

submitted by /u/AccidentalFIRE
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/cxzubt/august_monthly_breakdown_from_a_retired_real/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/